Monday, December 12, 2011

Well, How About That


It's been a year since I last laced my obnoxiously orange running shoes. 14 years of competitive running. 23 years of living overall, and man, I still love this sport.


Age 8 - really bad form, but a mean ponytail.
True love never dies, it evolves. This personal love of mine has evolved into "Runnin' Child" - a blog that will serve as a resource for runners of all levels, a public diary of my own journey within it, and a place to discuss and how to make this sport belong to youAnd potentially the pros and cons of spandex.

 I've promised myself to pick it up, at the most basic level, tabula rasa. With little steps and precision, I hope my story will inspire you to pick up some running shoes, explore your surroundings, and breathe deeply. 
Winter air has the best, crisp quality - I'd do arctic yoga if I could.

My shoes are old though, my patellar tendonosis aches are yet to be resolved, and I'm craving flexibility.  Respectively, I need to hit up 
South End Athletic Company for some fast snazzies, call up my chiropractor, and probably join in yoga sessions with OmGal. But we'll save those trips for another post....

But I'm game, and here to teach you how to go about the sport start to finish, and all over again.

 Tonight. Day uno. Channeling the running gods. After 5 months of physical therapy, I was told I could run but thought it was too premature of a call. Two months later, I pick the coldest day of our primavera- Boston- winter. But the cold air, the holiday lights, and  a little voice inside my head conspired to bring about the perfect beginning.
I start from my gym at Copley to the edge of the Boston Common at Arlington and Commonwealth Avenue. Let's just say my first half mile was taken cautiously, yet felt invigorating. A shock of the cold air kept me bouncy. And the kind "Children International" representative yelled, "I believe in you!", as if he knew it was my first one, five minutes in.


My first mile, calculated from Arlington to the top of Mass Ave - just fine at 7:45 pace checking my watch. I run back to where I started, chipping off a 2.5 mile run around 22 minutes. 
Patient and gentle - a mantra to be had at any first run, and dare I say first endeavor all together. With a steady and rhythmic breath, any run can be our own and in control.  We each have our own breath, just individual as a fingerprint.

My favorite part of inagural run? Beyond the glimmering holiday lights that canopied Comm. Ave, the homeless woman on Newbury Street made my interaction with the roads extra special. Our eyes met for just a second, and as I strode right in front of her, she exclaimed said, "Well, how about that!" Was she speaking to me? Either way, I took it for an encouraging, humorous gesture. I couldn't help but smile.

Interpreting and finding positive details in your every day is what makes it all worth the while. So guys, "how about that..."?! Get out there, have some fun, and leave your questions and stories below.... I can't wait to hear them.


1 comment: