Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Symbolism of the Track

I found this article in the New York Times this morning. It tells a great story about how a track in Brooklyn that attracts all backgrounds, ages, and people has continued to be a meeting place over the years where lives of diversity cross.



Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"The track is a place of inspiration, blurred boundaries and shared sweat. "


"Stories about withstanding physical pain, fear and embarrassment initiate athletes into an order that age, ethnicity, gender or preferred sport cannot dismiss them from.


"I’ve been here a thousand times,” Galvan said from Lane 9, “but each time is like the first time. I guess I connect with that little kid who was me. He’s here, too, cheering me on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment