Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice Wish

The sport of running to me has never always been about the moments of winning or losing. It’s been about the people I’ve met, the moments of ecstasy, learning from downright failure, and bettering my perspective with each day and each run.

A moment the defined running for me was Christmas morning of ‘97. I was 10 years old, my dad and I went for a run together. It started to snow by the middle of our run. By the time we reached home to finish - everything was covered in a dazzling layer of white. He said to me, “Listen. It’s absolutely still outside...I will never forget this, thank you for being here with me”. There was not a sound or crackle to be heard, just the sound of snow lofting to the ground and pine trees around us. Our warm breath met the air with that peaceful smoke only seen in 30-degree weather. I was incredibly cozy after breaking up a sweat over our run, and feeling completely at peace, especially in the presence of someone who was close to my heart.  I learned from my father then, that running was about listening. It was about a higher observance and sensitivity to yourself as well as to everything around you - a holy connection. 



I hope that each of you this time of year, you have the chance to step outside whether it’s for a walk or run with a loved one and experience each other’s company, the beauty of the outside, and share in a gratitude for embracing that moment.


Happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, New Year…. Happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment