Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The First Run

It's been a bit over a month since I went on a run. Due to a partial tear in my right knee, I opted for PRP injections, a fairly new alternative method to surgery (that requires its own post).  I had the opportunity to test out the results this evening. So far, so good. No pain.

Yet, there was the unavoidable pain of the First Run that I met. I choose to write First Run as a proper noun because it's a holy initiation of sorts, I'm happy just to survive it. We've all experienced it. You set out on the road and in ten minutes it's as if a bear grabbed onto your shoulders, your breathing pattern turned to sound like that of cat heaving a hairball, and you don't give a damn that people passing by  stare at how disfigured your face looks.

My choice of a First Run was a two miler, to Ocean Avenue and back. I returned home defeated, yet simultaneously elated. Initiation was over.

I have a few tips to share so you can get past your own First Run without feeling 30 years old your senior.

1. Choose a reasonable distance.

My rule is to do a quarter of what you run on a daily basis when training at top shape. For example, if you're highest weekly mileage is 70 miles, you average 10 miles a day. Take a quarter of that 10 miles, and you have a 2.5 miler of a First Run. You'll most likely be comfortable yet still challenged with this distance.

2. Start slow.

Why burst out the gate like a madman? Take it easy. If you're with a friend, you should be able to talk here and there. If you're by yourself, your breath shouldn't be overwhelmingly audible. Again, challenge yourself, but don't overdo it.

3. Warm up before you go.

Do a set of jumping jacks, or take your bike around the block. If the blood is flowing beforehand, your run will be flowing just as well.

4. Don't listen to music.

If you're like me, you get revved up by music too easily. "Thriller" will only make your run harder in the end. So, be in tune with what you hear, your breath, your foot strike. It should all be mellifluous.

5. Lastly, don't set high expectations.

Your First Run is open to a lot of flaws and kinks. It's like putting oil on a squeaky bike. It takes a few revolutions to smooth things out.

- Keep Runnin' Child


3 comments:

  1. Meggie I love your style of writing now almost as much as in college :)

    Can't wait to see where your runnin' journey goes next. xo Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete